Financial matters

Before embarking on your studies at Leiden University, it is important to thoroughly research the financial aspects of your stay.

Tuitions fees academic year 2024-2025

The amount of tuition fee you have to pay depends on your nationality, your study programme and whether you have already obtained a Dutch higher education diploma. If you are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country, Suriname or Switzerland and this is your first bachelor’s in the Netherlands, the tuition fee is €2,530 (The Dutch cabinet has decided to halve the statutory tuition fees for specific groups of first-year bachelor’s students. These students will be entitled to pay the halved fee once during a consecutive period of 12 months.). EU/EEA Students following the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme pay an additional institutional tuition fee of €2,795. If you are not a national of an EEA country, Suriname or Switzerland, the tuition fee for most bachelor’s programmes is between €12,000 and €16,000.

Non-EU/EEA Students following the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme pay a tuition fee of €16,500 per year, plus an additional institutional fee of €2,795 per year. However if, on the basis of your Dutch residence permit, you are eligible for student finance from DUO (the Dutch education agency), you are entitled to pay the lower statutory tuition fee. Are you unsure whether which fee you have to pay? Check our website for more details. 

Student finance & student travel pass

When studying at Leiden University you may be entitled to Dutch student finance and a student travel pass. Whether you are eligible depends on several factors, such as your nationality. Students who are eligible for Dutch student finance may also apply for a student travel pass.

Estimated monthly expenses

Financial Matters Kosten

*The estimated rents are based on unfurnished rooms.

Working while studying

Do you need to find a paid job to cover some of your expenses while studying in the Netherlands? While finding employment is not impossible, it may well prove a difficult task. Working for the university is a possibility, and can be arranged through our JobMotion office. However, only a limited number of positions are available each year. Many jobs outside of the university require a good command of Dutch, and depending on your nationality, you will face some restrictions. If you are from an EU/EEA country, from Switzerland or Japan, you will not need a work permit. All other nationalities require a special work permit and can only work for a maximum of sixteen hours a week. This information is subject to change, so check the current rules when looking for employment. Please also note that most of our programmes are full-time. Therefore, you may not have a lot of time to work next to your studies. All in all, we advise you not to rely on finding a paid job when financially planning your study costs.

The Holland Scholarship

Excellent international bachelor’s students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) enrolling in an English-taught bachelor’s programme starting in September 2024 are eligible to apply. The award consists of a one-time payment of €5,000, received in the first year of your studies.

The full list of scholarships, grants and loans for prospective students as well as a list of search engines for scholarships can be found on our website.